Frequently Asked Questions
Timesheet and Expense
- How does it work?
The service works by you installing the small MC2 Anywhere Client on your QuickBooks computer. The client acts as a gateway between your computer and our servers. Web requests from you are routed to the client, sent to QuickBooks and then back to your browser. You can see a more detailed explanation here. RETURN TO TOP
- What is a QuickBooks GOLD developer?
QuickBooks GOLD developers have passed rigorous testing by independent consultants selected by Intuit. You can find more information here. RETURN TO TOP
- Why do I have to install software on my QuickBooks computer?
The MC2 Anywhere Client is software that runs on your QuickBooks computer and communicates with QuickBooks using the QuickBooks Software Development Kit (SDK), the method recommended by Intuit for software integration. The only thing it does is routes messages to QuickBook's and our website. Our QuickBooks demonstration computer is setup like any typical company, it's in our office connected with DSL to our hosted servers for months at a time with no problems. RETURN TO TOP
- Do I have to keep QuickBooks running and connected all the time? Is there an offline mode so my users can submit time 24/7 without access to QuickBooks?
One of our key design points was integration directly with QuickBooks and no manual import/export of data. We cache some list data which provides the means to save time and expenses, or submit time and expenses for approval, when QuickBooks is not connected. You can then use the multi-level approval process when QuickBooks is connected to approve and send the information. Doing it this way, the person controlling QuickBooks and the MC2 Client should be the last, highest level, approver.RETURN TO TOP
- Is it secure?
We take all measures to protect you and your data. All communications are done using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL), the internet standard for encrypted communications. All access is controlled by user id's and passwords on the website and the MC2 Anywhere Client. RETURN TO TOP
- Can you send me a IIF file?
The key benefit of our solution is no need to exchange files back and forth, a real time saver. Intuit recommends that all integration between QuickBooks and third-party software applications be implemented using the QuickBooks Software Development Kit (SDK). Just think of our connectivity as better then IIF file exchanges, and it's automatic. RETURN TO TOP
- Why can't I see the new user, class, service item, etc I just added in QuickBooks on the website?
We cache some list data from QuickBooks in our database for speed, the administrator can clear the cache from the "Account" page and selecting the "Clear Cache" link. If you are using Time and Expense Groups, you will also need to add the new item to the group.RETURN TO TOP
- Do I have to install the MC2 Client software on everyone's computer who needs access?
No, you only need to install one MC2 Client on one QuickBooks computer that has access to the internet and your company file for all of your users. Your users will then use a web browser from anywhere to access our website and submit time and expenses. RETURN TO TOP
- What QuickBook's user permissions are required for the MC2 Client?
For initial setup, you will need to be logged into QuickBooks as the administrator. During initial setup, you can designate a QuickBooks user for the MC2 Client to log in as. The following are the minimum permissions required for any user you select:
These are the minimum permissions to use the Time and Expense functionality on MC2 Anywhere.
RETURN TO TOP
- Sales and Accounts Receivable
- Purchases and Accounts Payable
- Time Tracking
- Payroll and Employees
- Checking and Credit Cards (for saving Expenses, not required if you are saving Time only)
- I'm finished with the trial and would like to start paying, what do I do?
To activate your service, log in as the administrator, go to "My Account" and select the "Account" link. At the bottom of the page in the "Payment Method" area, select the "Activate my account" checkbox and complete your billing information. RETURN TO TOP
- Do you support QuickBooks running on Windows Vista?
Yes, we support Windows Vista. You must have User Account Control (UAC) turned on in order for the MC2 Client to connect to QuickBooks.RETURN TO TOP
Timesheet and Expense
- Where is the Payroll item list?
The payroll item list will show up if you have "Use time data to create paychecks" checked for the user. Edit the user, under "User's QuickBooks Information", check "Use time data to create paychecks". RETURN TO TOP
- Where can I enter notes?
Notes can be entered by double clicking on the day field where you enter the hours.If you set the option "Show Notes on Timesheet" in your "Account" settings, Notes can also be entered on the main timesheet screen. RETURN TO TOP
- How can I limit what Payroll Item, class, etc a user sees?
You will need to create a "Time Group", select what is visible to the group and assign the user to that group. RETURN TO TOP
- Why can't I see my QuickBooks employees on the timesheet dropdown?
The MC2 Administrator must first create a MC2 user id and associate that id with a QuickBooks employee. This can be done from the administrators "My Account"/"Add user" screen. RETURN TO TOP
- I get the following error when submitting time, "Error for user John Doe, Failed to save the Time Tracking transaction. The employee "123-XYZ" provided in the TimeTrackingAdd request has the checkbox "Use time data to create paychecks" set to the Unknown state. ... ", how do I resolve it?
This is a QuickBooks issue for all new users, QuickBooks wants the administrator to explicitly set or not set that indicator. There are two ways to set the indicator in QuickBooks:
RETURN TO TOP
- Open the employee and go to the "Payroll and Compensation Info" tab in QuickBooks, you should check the "Use time data to create paychecks", then, while still on that screen, uncheck that checkbox if you do not need it. Then click Ok to save it, the "check/uncheck" step is used so that QuickBooks knows to actually save the data.
- Alternately, you can open the Weekly time sheet in QuickBooks, select that employee, You will be prompted "Will you like to set this .......", select yes or no. You don't have to do anything else, QuickBooks will record the change.
- Is there any way that timesheets can be submitted daily, or partial weeks, instead of weekly?
Yes you can submit timesheets daily. In order to go into daily mode, as the mc2 administrator, go to "My Account" and select the "Account" link, under "Account Preferences", check "daily" next to " Time Sheet Submission". Click "Submit" to save the changes. RETURN TO TOP
- How do I enable email notifications?
To notify your employee's when time or expenses are approved or rejected, from the administrators "Account" page, check the "Send email to users .." option under "Account Preferences". A person who is an approver and wants to be notified to approve should select a notification time under their "Account" settings. RETURN TO TOP
- How do I view the "Notes" the user entered on the "Approve Timesheet" screen?
Notes can be seen on the approve timesheet and time status screens by holding the mouse over the hours in each day field. A popup window will display the notes for that day. If you set the option "Show Notes on Approve Timesheet/Time Status" in your "Account" settings, Notes can also be viewed on the main approval or status screen.
RETURN TO TOP
- For Employee expenses, how do I enable the creation of a Bill in QuickBooks instead of a Check?
To create a Bill in QuickBooks for Employee expenses instead of a Check, edit the employee in MC2, in the "QuickBooks User Information" area, select a vendor id from the dropdown in the field labeled "QuickBook's Vendor for Expenses".
RETURN TO TOP